Black Garlic, Roasted Aubergine & Tomato Persian-Style Dip (mirza ghasemi)
How about a black garlic recipe today? Have you tried using this amazing ingredient in your cooking? You gotta give it a go if you haven’t already.
The Persian roasted aubergine dip (mirza ghasemi) is one of my all-time favourite dishes. I love the combination of the soft smokey aubergine pulp, garlic, tomatoes and the scrambled eggs. When I tasted black garlic the first thing that came to my mind was to give it a try in mirza ghasemi. The experiment with black garlic turned really good results. My guests that night mopped up all of that very quickly and made lots of compliments.
Black garlic originates from east Asia where they hugely believe in its health benefits. It’s now becoming more and more popular in other countries too. Whole bulbs look quite like smoked garlic but the cloves are very dark, almost black, and have a creamy consistency. They taste sweet with a hint of balsamic vinegar and are much milder than normal garlic.
Black garlic tastes better when it is lightly sautéed in olive oil before mixing with the aubergine pulp. I like to scramble the eggs before folding them into the aubergine mixture but you can also mix lightly beaten eggs gently through the aubergine mix and cook until set.
This lovely dip is a great accompaniment to many dry white wines.
To serve 4-6 people as appetizer you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 large or 4 small aubergines
- 8 cloves of black garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved (about 12)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Mint, marinated black olives and sliced preserved lemons to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7.
- Pierce the aubergines with a fork in several places and put directly on the oven rack in the centre. Bake for 30 minutes or until the skin is charred all over and the flesh is really soft. Baking time depends on the size of the aubergines so you need to keep an eye on them.
- Cut through the skin of the aubergines when cool enough to handle and scoop out the soft flesh with a spoon. Mash lightly.
- Mash the black garlic cloves with a fork.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat and add the black garlic. Sauté for one minute, then add the turmeric and continue cooking for another minute until fragrant. Add the aubergine and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes and cook while stirring until the tomatoes are soft and the mixture is thick. Season well with salt and black pepper. Pull the mixture to the side of the frying pan and pour the lightly beaten eggs in the empty side. Stir and cook the eggs until set. Now mix the scrambled eggs with the rest of the ingredients.
- Transfer the dip to a serving plate and garnish with sprigs of mint and marinated black olives and/or sliced preserved lemons. Serve with crispbread or warmed flatbread such as lavash or pita. Enjoy!